Klaus & Jane PREVIEW


Stories are supposed to begin
with once upon a time,
but mine is not
so simple.
I can’t trace its beginning
to any one moment
Except, no, I can.
It was the moment when I woke up,
still tired
from tossing in my bed,
because the mattress had bugs,
and the new children were always crying
through the night.
I had fallen asleep shivering,
because Anne took my blanket.
Anne always took my blanket.
But another blanket was on me,
and I’d have never known whose,
but for the patch on the right-hand corner.
That was a patch I stared at,
tracing the design of the wildflower
for hours when I was sick.
It was the blanket that lay
day after day
on the bed across from mine.
It belonged to the boy
with the brown hair
and the black spectacles
who sat in the corner and read.
The boy who,
at some point,
had given me his blanket,
in the middle of a winter night.
My story begins there,
I think,
in the corner with him
and his books.



KLAUS & JANE is available here.

Comments

Popular Posts